Making products that keep pets and their people happy means the world to us. But we also want to do our bit to keep our beautiful planet smiling as well. And that’s why we go to the ends of the Earth, (how can something that’s round have an end?) to ensure that all of our great products are made with the best materials. Not only that. We’re 100% committed to reducing our environmental pawprint, and we keep that commitment front and foremost in all our work and products.
Don't you hate it when products are covered in 20 coats of plastic? We do. Sometimes, of course, it’s necessary to use plastics to protect a product during transit, but we are working towards replacing them with bio-plastics wherever possible. And this year, we'll be reducing our packaging and removing the use of over 100 000 plastic bags! We're also streamlining our packaging and moving to more natural fibres and coatings.
We work closely with our suppliers to source the most environmentally friendly papers, fabrics and substrates. This is a constant learning curve as new technologies and substrates enter the market all the time. But rest assured, we are always on the look-out for materials that tick not just the aesthetic box, but the environmental and functionality boxes as well
Designing For Durability
At Kazoo we only create products that meet our (very high) standards. That means creating quality products that last and don’t end up in landfill a few weeks after they’re purchased.
We like to think of ourselves as a big pack of problem solvers. So, if we can't source it, we'll try and create it! We're great at adapting to new challenges and so are our suppliers. We value skill sharing, collaboration and transparency, and are always on the lookout for great environmentally-friendly solutions. If you have anything you want to tell us about, please let us know!
Some of the things we've recently done to improve our environmental pawprint:
- Our catalogue has traditionally been printed overseas. This year, we had it printed at a sustainable printer in Melbourne. They used 100% recycled paper and soy based inks. Yes, it cost over twice the price, but we're pretty proud that those 1000 catalogues were made to the best standards we could find.
- Moving from plastic to card - Our tethering range (collars, leads and harnesses) were previously hung in stores on plastic packaging. We have replaced this card with recycled cardboard and reduced the amount of plastic ties required to keep the products in place. We're still working to replace these plastic ties altogether and use something that is equally durable. Watch this space!
- Each year we design a brand new range of dog coats, jackets, knitwear and snuggies. We've been working hard to get as much of our 2022 range made with recycled fibres. It's looking like we will be able to grow our recycled range each year, something we're incredibly excited about!
- Our aquarium plants have always been made with recycled plastics. You will start to see our new packaging in the shops that talks about this.
- Dogs can be mighty chewers, so we use only the most durable, top-quality rubber in our tough-chew toys. This rubber is 100% natural, plant-based. No added plastics.
We're working on a lot more and constantly tweaking our products to be the best they can be. If there's something you think we should be doing, or know about, please reach out. We love hearing from our customers.